Friday, March 27, 2009

A Friend Indeed




I have been blessed by having some wonderful friends over the course of my life. I've had very few that I can say were my "best" friends though. Alicia lives next door to me with her husband and 2 children. Her son was born just days after my daughter was. Alicia and I have a lot in common. When I told her that I was going to start training for a 5K she said, "I'll run with you." Now, if you know Alicia you know she doesn't exercise-she doesn't NEED to because she is about 5'3" and 110 pounds soaking wet. I swear she is more of a sprite than a person she is so darn cute. I have tried on numerous occasions to get Alicia to join me while exercising and I have been shut down nicely, if you call laughing hysterically in my face "nice", everytime. So when I got the text that said, "I'll run with you", I almost fell over I was so touched. That night I got home from work, strapped on my running shoes, grabbed my stopwatch and headed next door to get my new running partner. After we finished our run, which included less wheezing than I expected from both of us, I realized that I actually had a good time running because Alicia was there. Ok, let me say that again...I had a good time running. I wasn't on a runner's high because we didn't run far enough for that to kick in but I still actually enjoyed myself. I didn't even feel like one of those dancing hippos from Fantasia while running next to my spritely friend. Shocking. I've found my secret weapon against the pain inducing running gods for now.

No comments: