Monday, March 30, 2009

Mother Nature Is Cruel

Bringing my first week of training to a close felt great. I was technically only supposed to run 3 times but I decided that I was feeling good enough to try for 4 times. I was supposed to head out on Saturday and the cruel wheel of fate decided that I just couldn't squeeze it in between the loads of laundry and my daughter's gymnastics class. Not a problem, I'll just head out Sunday. Wrong. Sunday morning rain, turned to sleet and then into snow and wind. I'm sorry but running is painful enough. I wasn't about to run in weather that could freeze snot to my face and cause me to go into hypothermia. I'm not that insane. Yet. Plan B was to run on the treadmill in my basement. I suited up and headed downstairs to remove the laundry that was hanging on Plan B aka the treadmill. My question to you is: Why is running on a treadmill so much easier than running outdoors? Is it because of the lack of exposure to the elements? Or is it because I'm not worried about how ridiculously out of shape I look while running in public? I mean, I don't even have to worry about my outfit matching to run on the treadmill. Whatever it is, I ran for 20 minutes on the treadmill. The frustrating thing is that I only ran 1 1/2 miles! WHAT?! I thought I was hallucinating. I wasn't running that slow. At least it sure as heck didn't feel like it. My goal is to run a 10 minute mile. Do the math...it's seriously depressing.

No comments: