Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Run Therefore, I Ache.

Yes. I hurt. It's true. My legs hurt, my back hurts, my ribs hurt, my feet hurt...did I mention even my right hand hurts? It does. I ran with Alicia The Sprite last night-yeah, that rhymed; did I mention I write poetry? This was her second run and the beginning of my second week running. I asked her via email if she was sore today and she said "No, I feel fine. I expected to be sore but I wasn't!" Oh. I read this while I swallowed about 4 extra strength Advil. The good news is that I ran more than I walked this time! Oh and I didn't die! That's always a plus. Even though I'm in pain for about 95% of my day now I'm starting to look forward to *gasp* running. Listen, I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything but I'm feeling quite proud of myself that I haven't 1)quit and 2)been taken to the Emergency Room. I added a tracker to my blog-did you notice? It's so cute, the little jogger looks perky enough to explode with running enthusiasm. I could learn a thing or two from her I suppose. I've run 5.5 miles as of this post. Wow. I'm impressed with myself. Just reading that I actually ran 5.5 miles makes me want to lie down and take a nap. I'll let you all in on a secret...I used to be obsessed with fitness. I was a certified Spinning instructor which means I taught other people how to get in shape. Scary, eh? Yes. I loved Tae Bo...Billy and I were tight. I've read enough books on fitness to fill a small library. I am still a loyal subscriber to Self magazine. Alas, I never enjoyed running so I figured why not add to the insanity of getting back in shape after no physical activity for over a year? Let's throw ourselves back into the fitness world with something that I've never been good at! Whatever. I love a challenge. I'm running this 5K. I don't care how many walkers pass me while doing it. This sport would be a lot more fun if there wasn't so much running involved.

No comments: