Sunday, April 5, 2009

Eye of the Tiger

There's something to be said about repetition. I'm going on 3 weeks of running 3-4x a week. I was not seeing progress the way I had hoped I would see it. My idea of progress was to be able to run a complete mile without some part of my body begging me to throw myself in front of a passing car and just put it out of it's misery. Today was my break through moment...it didn't exactly happen the way I had envisioned it but it was still pretty cool. I did my typical warm up walk and get this-I didn't stop once to walk. Not one time. I didn't complain to Alicia the Sprite about a stitch in my side or the wind or the fact that my kneecaps seriously are considering a permanent separation from my body. To top it off I truly felt that I could keep running and not die. Yay! I actually did what I would call a "happy dance" at the end of Alicia's driveway not caring who would see me or what they would think. Well, come to think of it, I have several strange dances that I do and I never care what anyone thinks...but back to the point at hand; I am making progress. Yes, it's baby step progress I know but I'm headed in the right direction still. I can see a faint glimmer of hope at the end of this journey...it's far off in the distance but it's there just the same. The next time I run I'm adding some more distance. I love this quote that I found:

"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."

I have no idea who penned it but it's something I try to tell myself every time things aren't going so well for me running...like the last oh, almost 3 weeks(with the exception of the most recent run.) I may never be huge fan of running but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Kind of like my "happy dance" at the end of my running partner's driveway.

No comments: