Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Running Nowhere


I had to run on the treadmill last night because of the wind and snow and cold...did I mention it's April?!? Welcome to Michigan my home sweet home. It's less than a week away from Easter and almost 3 weeks into "Spring" and there is snow on the ground here. So have pity on me when I wimp out and run on the treadmill aka sweater dryer. At least I ran. I wanted to sit on the couch and doze instead. Will my lazy bone ever stop all the complaining? I'm really not sure. I did run an 11 minute mile which is pretty good in my mind. Considering the fact that 3 weeks ago exercise to me was standing up while cooking dinner and now I'm running a full mile without stopping; you betcha it's pretty darn good! I think that the absolute worst part about running on a treadmill is how painfully aware I am that I'm truly just running nowhere. It's very eerie when you realize you are mimicking one of those little hamsters running in a wheel. Seriously, where is the fun in that? At least when I run outside the scenery changes...beige house, car, sidewalk, gray house, dog, beige house...With the treadmill, I stare at the same thing the entire time: white wall. Snooze. The danger in the monotony is the fact that I'm not as graceful as I fancy myself to be. This means that I trip. A lot. Over nothing. In a matter of 20 minutes on the treadmill I managed to trip about 3 times. This leads me to believe that running on the treadmill is hazardous to my health. I have these horrible visions of me falling and being flung across the room like a Muppet. I know what you're thinking: "You don't have to worry about that if you wear the safety thing that shuts off the treadmill if it becomes detached." Blah, blah, blah. I wear it but that doesn't stop me from thinking that my treadmill could malfunction causing me to Muppet myself across the basement. Don't judge me. Tonight, it's off to the races again only I'll be running outside AND I'm adding some more distance. Bring it on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it